Wetbike.net Forum
August 23, 2017, 06:13:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you need to have your account approved, please email your username to pj at wetbike dot net and request to have it approved......had to disable auto-approve due to spambots.  Thanks

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB: mercury 650 thunderbolt outboard motor  (Read 162 times)
T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:14:58 AM »

65hp, 3 cylinder, 2 stroke....I think years 1969~76 ?
...just need the power head, not the lower drive

I'm in eastern Iowa, but can drive a fair distance to pick up

post here, and i will PM email and phone#
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:19:00 AM by T Rush » Logged
T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:25:52 AM »

i'm finding a few of these around....they seem like $500 would get me one off craigslist
https://elmira.craigslist.org/bpo/6216334212.html
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/d/tri-haul-boat-with-65hp/6241453262.html
https://rockford.craigslist.org/bpo/d/mercury-65hp-outboard/6272238489.html
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bpo/d/strong-running-650-mercury/6256231860.html
....I guess I'll just keep watching for the right one, in the right location, and at the right time when i have the right extra moneys, right?

but wat it 4 ya ask?
...I believe this is what the first "prototype" WetBikes(the Bond, James Bond bikes) had in them....along with an alum front short ski(I have), no handles(I have, or dont?), big huge gas cap(shouldnt be too hard to get), some funky modern looking push buttons(looking for better pictures), and a few other 'not quite like' early '78 WetBike parts odds and ends....also looking for a pre-recall hull but i see those around often enough, just dont need it to take up another parking spot in my shop until ive got everything else
Tori
Biker of all sorts
Classifieds Moderator
I can't help it!!!

R.I.P. Brian Maness WBB#20 - never forgotten !

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:33:56 AM »

I see what you're trying to do,........   but i'm more excited to see how the Merc. 65hp engine would work out in a bike.   Keep us updated on that venture.  Could be very cool.    I take it those models were 2 cyls. ?

Contact me to purchase any of the following: 1978-84 Stripe decals * 85-86-87 Body stripe decals * Exhaust spacers * Water supply/flush hoses * Fuel pickup tubes (fits 78-85)
T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:07:19 PM »

the first and last WetBikes were both 3 cylinder, says so in the advertising
Tori
Biker of all sorts
Classifieds Moderator
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:13:12 PM »

how tall is that 65 ?

Contact me to purchase any of the following: 1978-84 Stripe decals * 85-86-87 Body stripe decals * Exhaust spacers * Water supply/flush hoses * Fuel pickup tubes (fits 78-85)
tightwad
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:01:00 PM »

$500, comes with a boat, doesn't run:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/d/tri-haul-boat-with-65hp/6241453262.html

Running complete boat for $700:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/d/1974-glastron-162-futura-make/6206473727.html

Or just the motor, but it runs:
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bpo/d/strong-running-650-mercury/6256231860.html
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:03:19 PM by tightwad » Logged

Contact me for: Airbox Stud Kits ($9), Seadoo Style fuel filters ($15, $25 with mounting bracket), Ski Bolts ($2), HandleBar Column Bolt kit (Allen head - $4)
Tori
Biker of all sorts
Classifieds Moderator
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:18:16 PM »

Ben,  what leads you to believe they may have used this merc. 65 for the prototype/Bond bike ?

T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:24:31 PM »

<craigslist links>
are those the same links I posted above?
....it wouldnt be too bad for me to run down or over to a few of those places and pick them up... my dog loves doing that stuff(like when we went to NY and back in under 48hrs to get that 92 Force JetStar)

Thomas J Rush,  what leads you to believe they may have used this merc. 65 for the prototype/Bond bike ?

I researched it; I went crazy looking at all the possible motors that had the right displacement and right vintage for what was listed in the ads .... finally I found a post on this site that said they had photos of one of the bikes(but of course they couldnt figure out how to post them) that had a Merc(one of the few possible engine makes), then i found two other pint/magazine things "back from when" that back that small chunk of info up... once everything fit nicely together, I believed it
.... I'm still in the early stages of negotiating a visit to the "Bond bike"(really the only 'first bike' I can find solid traces of still being around) to inspect and confirm any of this
Tori
Biker of all sorts
Classifieds Moderator
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:22:56 PM »

Ben,  i commend your efforts, but i feel simply relying on "printed" ads may not be the gospel you think it is.   Afterall, they advertised the '92 bike with a 70hp engine, and a 90.  

It should would be nice if you'd make a post sharing some of the research you've done.  Afterall, that type of history documentation is part of what this site is about.  

Share the info buddy,  maybe someone from the group can help

tightwad
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:24:21 PM »

Ben,  i commend your efforts, but i feel simply relying on "printed" ads may not be the gospel you think it is.   Afterall, they advertised the '92 bike with a 70hp engine, and a 90.  

It should would be nice if you'd make a post sharing some of the research you've done.  Afterall, that type of history documentation is part of what this site is about.  

I don't have the docs at hand but I have read the same as Ben and wondered why they went away from the 65hp Mercury.  I am guessing weight.

Contact me for: Airbox Stud Kits ($9), Seadoo Style fuel filters ($15, $25 with mounting bracket), Ski Bolts ($2), HandleBar Column Bolt kit (Allen head - $4)
Tori
Biker of all sorts
Classifieds Moderator
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 08:34:49 PM »

All the more reason to build one and find out.   Smiley

T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Today at 04:08:43 AM »

I have, and do... here is one of my posts with links

Note that the motor was changed and the top speed either grossly overestimated or reduced with motor change.

yeah, here pre 1977 with the first prototypes(the James Bond bikes) made by AVR they have the 3 cylinder 65hp Mercury 816cc
http://wetbike.net/media/brochures/Early%201978%20Brochure/another_1978_brochure.htm
(these are likely the motors Nelson designed the WetBike to run, and used in the first working yellow one pictured below)

but in March 1977 Arctic took over and used the 2 cylinder 50hp Spirit 723cc motors
http://wetbike.net/media/brochures/Arctic%20Brochure/arctic_enterprises_brochure.htm
(noticed they just used the same brochure, only changing the info in the text...those arent pictures of the bikes they made)

here is another flyer from AVR http://wetbike.net/media/brochures/1978%20Flyer/1978_flyer.htm

I really would like to see the photos of the Mercury exhaust and stuff from this http://wetbike.net/forum/index.php?topic=1389.0
on other larger more technical forums I'm on; I often make posts that use up the character limit(how many letters you can type into one post, so what I write will be very long and detailed) and use many hyperlinks for reference(blue things that look like this, so the post will contain not only how I am using the information, but where I got it from as well) but here if i make a post longer or more complicated than the one of mine I just quoted, it seems hard to read for WetBike people? and who knows about links?....heck could you even 'decipher' that post? being that its 5 lines of text and 4 links, oh and that post also has a picture with it(not quoted) as everyone likes pictures  Grin

also please note that calling forum members by different names than their user name is very confusing for other forum members(i've seen where this was done many times in the past on this forum as i've searched old threads...and you just cant tell who people are referring to any more when they called members by other names)
...also sharing personal information or personal message contents of other forum members(especially when I have already ask you not to) is strictly forbidden on any other web forum, so i'm sure it actually is here too...even tho those types of things seem 'normal' to do on this forum because they have become so common place, its still wrong

I think one of the big problems with getting information from 1976-77 is they used to print stuff out using ink on paper back then, or at best take pictures using light sensitive chemicals on 'film'....now 40years later, most of those things have deteriorated, even the people too...as now a 20~40year old person that saw or worked on one of the Advanced Vehicle Research Corp. WetBike prototypes would be 60~80years old, and maybe cant even remember how socks work anymore
...like I was just reading about this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Jacobson_II (was trying to figure out who designed/built the first WetBike jet pump unit) and I realized we have the same birthday, but his was 31years eariler(and I'm in my mid 50's) so thought that dude has to be toast now

« Last Edit: Today at 04:57:35 AM by T Rush » Logged
tightwad
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:33:37 AM »

Off-Topic:
Quote from: offtopic
T-Rush...I think the difference is that this forum is more of a family page for those who adopted Wetbikes...most of us consider each other like siblings or similar.  We have a lack of formality that larger groups can't emulate because in most of those cases you have never met the people you are speaking to.  If someone here calls me "Joshua" I have no issue...I am not hiding my identity behind an anonymous username and feeling powerful...I respect those I am speaking with because we actually know each other.  We all have our quirks, some of us are more long winded, such as yourself, and some have become tired of answering the same questions being asked again and again...often like dealing with teenagers.  I too hope that we can remember that the written word doesn't always translate emotion and meaning the same as we may intend...which can lead to people getting frustrated or worse.

I can personally vouch for the people on this board as being the most willing to help someone out of any group I know.  We don't have a "king" or "supreme leader", we respect each other because we have each had to earn that respect.  No other forum I am a member of has these kinds of relationships.  Don't expect this forum to be like others...and hopefully those of us that are a bit short or impatient can learn better behaviors.

Back on topic:

I am interested in what you find for this project.  It is too bad that so many years have passed since the initial development.  The amount of engineering that went into the Wetbike, like any vehicle, must have been a tremendous effort and I would love to have a time machine to go back to 1976/77 when things were getting interesting.

T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Today at 09:10:23 AM »

yes, well to be more exact about what this project totally is; I'm gonna try to build two WetBikes, the first and last ones
AVR 1976 Bond bike
and
1240 1992 Force bike
....the biggest problem I see with these bikes(and the main reason they dont exist anymore, if ever) is that they suck

the 'first bike' likely struggled horribly from all kinds of details that needed further development, and we have seen how the design has improved

the 'last bike' would have suffered from management decisions(vs design) and pride(over necessary function)

....if any of either of these bikes are still around, I would guess that over the years they would have been modified to reflect the more standard WetBike models we know today, and lost....so thats why I would like to try to recreate 'tribute bikes', so they are not so lost, even tho they suck
hopefully keeping that mindset will help the project(s) along, otherwise I think you would get stuck in that loop of trying to fix the things they didn't get quite right
Tori
Biker of all sorts
Classifieds Moderator
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Today at 09:16:16 AM »

T-Rush, Smiley   I sure wish all this info you're gaining and sharing was in a it's own thread.  Rather than a wanted ad.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: