Wetbike.net Forum
January 16, 2018, 02:49:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you need to have your account approved, please email your username to pj at wetbike dot net and request to have it approved......had to disable auto-approve due to spambots.  Thanks

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Vintage Wetbike Pictures  (Read 3744 times)
oldman
Seats are for sissys
I can't help it!!!

6 wetbikes, Dynafoil, Surfjet, Wetjet, Sea Doos, X

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »

I started riding before cameras were invented.

So, no proof you've been riding since 78.  I think you started in 2005...that was the 1st time I saw proof.   Wink

Youve seen me ride, nobody gets that good in only 5 years. Grin

A really old guy with a really old bike  #383
Sea-Donkey
The Poacher
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »

89 Tomcats (2-one in crate)

Past Wetbikes:1989,1991,1985,1983,1988 SS, 1987 SS, 1988 TC
Tori
Biker of all sorts
Classifieds Moderator
I can't help it!!!

R.I.P. Brian Maness WBB#20 - never forgotten !

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 10:21:39 PM »

how about a close up of that bike Donk.   

Contact me to purchase any of the following: 1978-84 Stripe decals * 85-86-87 Body stripe decals * Exhaust spacers * Water supply/flush hoses * Fuel pickup tubes (fits 78-85)
tightwad
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 11:27:22 PM »

I love the jeans and everything shot!

Contact me for: Airbox Stud Kits ($9), Seadoo Style fuel filters ($15, $25 with mounting bracket), Ski Bolts ($2), HandleBar Column Bolt kit (Allen head - $4)
T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 03:36:10 AM »

how about a close up of that bike Donk.  

this says its a "1977 Arctic Cat Wetbike used in the late 70's Australian tv show "Chopper Squad""
http://www.bosscatlegacy.com/acproto/factory/1977.htm (all the way at the bottom of that page you will see a slightly larger image)

and this says its "Dennis Grosvenor on a wet bike in a scene from episode 21, 'The Other Man's Grass'." that aired Jan 1979
https://www.classicaustraliantv.com/ChopperSquad.htm

however it is likely one of the very first prototype "bond" bikes from AVR(Advanced Vehicle Research Corporation of Los Angeles) which I think were made in 1975 or 76, with added side handles stuck on, but I think those used 3cyl Mercury engines ...so since it says Suzuki on it, maybe the ones you see with the side handles like that(and the big gas cap with "low vents") are the earliest 1977 prototype hulls(if they did do any of their own) made by Arctic Enterprises, before the production bikes were finalized for the 1978 model year...not totally sure exactly when they got Spirit Marine engines from Suzuki, maybe that bike was one of the first?
yeah tho, very interesting WetBike

I've always wanted to know how many of these first bikes were made, and where they ended up
Arctic Enterprises(Arctic Cat/Marine) must have acquired most of the AVR bikes; except for the actual "bond" bike(s) used in The Spy Who Loved Me movie, did demonstration films with them, and then tested a group of those bikes with 100 people(motorcyclist and/or skiers)... but sent(sold?) that one to Australia for the helicopter show, and at least another one to Florida for the Jaws II production(i'm gonna have to watch that movie again, because I dont remember seeing a WetBike in it, and if it was an AVR styled bike)...read that "Arctic Circle newsletter" in the bosscatlegacy link for reporting of most of that info in Aug 1977

[edit]
oh here, at 6:44 they have two prototype WetBikes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i6YAuQqkO4
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:41:52 PM by T Rush » Logged
T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 04:26:54 AM »

Barry Sheene was a British motorcycle road racer in the 1970's and early 80's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sheene
..he rode for Yamaha, Derby(yay, I actually also have one of those too), and of course Suzuki...he was one of those super 'playboy' guys that hung out with F1 driver James Hunt, the Beatles, centerfold models, and that whole star-party crowd of the time...he even had a song written about him "Mr. Sheene's riding machine" by the Rutles(Eric Idle of Monty Python)...also(if you didn't get all this from the wikipedia link) he was such a heavy drinker and smoker that he drilled a hole in his helmet to fit a cigarette thru so he could puff away on the grid up till the very last second before the race started(likely why he died at just 52)...but he was a great guy; even had an award named after him for the 'best and fairest' driver of the season, did many TV spots, protested races he thought were too dangerous, and was declared a 'legend'  ...anyway, just looking for pictures of famous people on WetBikes, and he had one, and was kinda vintage....so I thought I'd post it here(vs where I posted the Pablo Escobar bike) because I bumped this old thread with info on the bike Sea-Donkey posted and Tori asked about above

here he is on the River Thames near the Tower of London, 7th April 1980
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:00:32 AM by T Rush » Logged
T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 11:40:56 PM »

Wetbike used in the late 70's Australian tv show "Chopper Squad"

"Dennis Grosvenor on a wet bike in a scene from episode 21, 'The Other Man's Grass'." that aired Jan 1979

...at least another one to Florida for the Jaws II production(i'm gonna have to watch that movie again, because I dont remember seeing a WetBike in it, and if it was an AVR styled bike)

I found the whole video of Chopper Squad episode 21

> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5db3t5 <

...the two WetBikes get quite a bit of screen time: from the very beginning of the episode on and off for the first 15min. till the helicopter goes after them....  then again nearer the end a good view of them parked on the beach at about 39:40 and running after that in a final chase reveling the big plot twist

also I watched Jaws II again, yes there is a WetBike in it, but its only parked on the beach(at about 43min into the movie) and never seen being ridden (see the still shot below)

but in both these filmings you can see that they are the AVR hull designs with the vent below the bars, big gas cap, no cast in side handles/dents, and the 'filled' lower dash(where the forward grab handles in front of the seat should be) but with stuck on black side handle 'strips'
Arctic Enterprises newsletter shows them re-sculpting the hull(to what we know today in production bikes) the same year these early bikes were filmed....but these bikes must have the Suzuki "Spirit" motors in them(not sure about the Jaws II one) which Arctic Enterprises helped design and brought to the USA starting that year to be sold by them with the boats they were building and featured in the new WetBike
...there is a whole story in how Arctic snowmobile sales suffered for years because of the fuel crisis and lack of snow fall etc, so they diversified by building boats and WetBikes...also switching from Kawasaki to Suzuki motors(for the snowmobiles) and commissioning the marine engines to be made...1977 was a crazy year for them...but the bottomline is that the Suzuki motor just didn't exist when AVR built the first batch of prototypes(the bond bike)...so yes, these are very unique and interesting WetBikes

photo of WetBike in Jaws II, shot at Navarre Beach Florida sometime between August 1 and December 22 1977
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:26:59 AM by T Rush » Logged
Tori
Biker of all sorts
Classifieds Moderator
I can't help it!!!

R.I.P. Brian Maness WBB#20 - never forgotten !

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »

That's some good sleuthing T !

Contact me to purchase any of the following: 1978-84 Stripe decals * 85-86-87 Body stripe decals * Exhaust spacers * Water supply/flush hoses * Fuel pickup tubes (fits 78-85)
Sea-Donkey
The Poacher
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »

Stinks the Wetbike was only a prop in Jaws 2...a shark after a Wetbike rider would have been great.

T...what is the girl on the left of your avator picture wearing? That's a crazy looking bikini bottom. Maybe you needed that in 70's to cover the fur burger?   Cheesy

T Rush
I can't help it!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:54 PM »

are you referring to what my mother(on the left) is wearing? in that picture with my wife(on the right) and me  Shocked

(just kidding, I switched avatars with this one and another forum I'm on...thought that one fits more the style of this place, and the old Robert Longo photo better for the other forum....I have no idea what that photo is, just that its awesome)
Sea-Donkey
The Poacher
I can't help it!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Today at 12:33:22 AM »

Ha, yeah, picture is too small to tell much.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: